Thursday, April 5, 2018

Japanese Landscape - Part N

A little late posting this as I go sick on Monday. Last week I worked on the orb that surrounds the center flower. I've been looking forward to working on this section for a long while as it's so pretty. I love cutwork with alternating metal threads.


The trick to getting anything even is to start from the center, in this case I started from the top and went down one side completing it before doing the other.

(click on the post to see the animation below)


Another trick to keep you on point is to create guidelines. I wanted my cutwork to be centered with the petals of the flower. So I started by finding the center on the left petal and marking that on the soft string. From there I added other markings along the orb. These will help me create a nice curve, if I see that I'm not parallel to the markings I can then adjust.



I really enjoyed this section and the final result is so pretty.


Another down, six more to go.


For the next section, I need gold beads. I was so sure I had some in that color and after looking through my stash it turns out I do (four packs in fact) just not in the right size. I'll be passing by a shop today to buy some. Unfortunately, I will not be able to start on the next section till next week as I will be away this weekend. More on that next week, or if you follow me on Instagram you may find out sooner ;)

7 comments:

  1. It came out perfect. You're right--this is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous effect, and one I hope to be using myself later this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that section did turn out pretty - I can see how it must have been fun working on! I didn't know gold work involved beads as well, so I'm looking forward to learning something new the next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's gorgeous, what a lovely effect

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful design - I love all the different elements and way they work together. I look forward to seeing it with beads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely step. All the planning was well worth the time to get it looking even.

    ReplyDelete