Thursday, September 17, 2015

18th Century Sampler - Pre-work & Part 1 Completed

I know I said that I wouldn't do anymore pre-work until later, but once I started the first part of the sampler, I changed my mind. So back to pre-work I went and yesterday I put in the last pesky Smyrna.



I forgot to post this last time, but I found a technique that is very helpful in making sure Smyrnas lay next to each other properly. If you look at the image below, the first diagram on the top left shows the original sequence that was included with the instructions. But I found if I used that same sequence when stitching from right-to-left that the last stitch would never lay correctly. It was always slightly above or below the last stitch of the Smyrna on it's right.


So I changed the sequence around:
  • After you've stitched the X, your + should start from the opposite end, i.e. if the last arm of you X is going upwards, you're + will start from the bottom. This ensures your thread doesn't get under the fabric weave. 
  • Your last stitch should always go into the fabric next to the last Smyrna.
They look like little pearls, they're so tiny
The first part of the sampler are the narrow borders. These are 4 different really skinny bands that go above or below each row of Smyrna boxes. They're much more enjoyable to stitch than Smyrnas. My favorite was the Herringbone stitch.

Open Herringbone stitch
Herringbone stitch
Long-legged Cross stitch
Kalem or Knitting stitch
I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to stitch next. The book says to start on the Satin stitch borders, but then contradicts that by saying to stitch the contents of the boxes first. Since Susan is showing us how to stitch the boxes at the center (the class is hosted on Facebook), I might do that. I haven't decided yet.

2 comments:

  1. I find long legged cross stitch very useful - I rather like the plaited effect, and it turns corners quite neatly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice! I find counted work very appealing.

    ReplyDelete